As of March 27 at 10 a.m. PDT, the Mirage Closed Beta is live!
Pre-order Mirage: Arcane Warfare on Steam for $29.99 for instant access to the Beta, which is playable until close to the game’s full release on May 23.
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is also FREE for a day on Steam (permanently to your Steam account if claimed). All Chivalry owners get 10% off of Mirage – so move fast to get a deal!
Watch our Beta Launch and Beta Walkthrough videos
Closed Beta = no NDA. Record or stream anything!
Read on for an overview of Beta features and updates….
Increased decal count, localized ragdolls, and blood pooling
The most recent addition is longer lasting blood decals in the world, throughout a match you’ll clearly see the spots where most of the fighting takes place
We’ve also made sure every explosion and hit interacts with the ragdolls with the proper force.
- Better, more reactive ragdolls
- Blood stays around for longer
- Blood/Gore can also be turned off in the menu.
Localized ragdolls, explosions pushing bodies after death, and more:
Many, many more bloodstains left on surroundings:
General level of chaos dialed up to 11:
New speeds during movement, combat and melee attacks
The pace of the game has really come together with big efforts on polishing both gameplay and animations.
For gameplay we’ve tweaked everything from the movement speed to respawn timers to get the right pacing as well as introducing 10v10 and Arena to give more variety between modes
- Introduced 10v10 & Arena modes
- Introduced more movement to abilities
- Increased out of combat speed and wall jumps for better traversal
- Updated all animations
Exchanges are faster and more explosive.
Combo fluidly between swings, parries and abilities. As with melee every move can be manipulated further to maximize its use.
All the animations have been updated over the past few months with melee being the biggest focus.
In terms of environments, the Mirage Beta will feature various updates from the Closed Alpha, including:
- 11 maps spread across numerous game mode variants playable in 6v6 and 10v10
- Final art polish passes on all maps in Beta Patch 1
- “Context moments” such as Jinn spirits erupting from capture points and delivered arks
Watch our weekly full map flythrough videos on Youtube:
Play the following maps, in Beta Patch one/two (now live) and Beta Patch 3 (coming April)
Beta maps to rotate between game mode variations
The five game modes in Mirage will be familiar to Chivalry: Medieval Warfare players, with a twist: the story in Mirage revolves around harnessing the powers of magic Jinn spirits to overcome the enemy.
Coming after Beta: ARENA MODE
- See that greyed out game mode below Objective and Team Deathmatch?
- Arena mode will feature various new, smaller maps played in 3 vs. 3 competitive last man standing
- More info to come closer to May 23 launch
Beta Game Modes
Capture Point (CP)
Capture Glyphs, or lesser Demiglyphs, to summon giant Jinn spirits and overpower the enemy and claim magic essence for your team to win.
Jinn Capture (CTF)
Grab the Jinn Lamp and then plant the Jinn to gather magic essence for your team. Claim Demiglyph capture points to gain the winning edge.
Deliver the pushable Ark to the enemy’s Vault while capturing Demiglyphs to overpower and defeat the enemy.
Team Deathmatch (TDM)
Kill your enemies until their respawns run out!
Team Objective (TO)
A hybrid game mode with mixed objectives taken from the modes above. Assault a desert temple to reveal the secret entrance to a rebel base, raid an imperial academy and more!
All six classes playable throughout the Closed Beta
At this point you’ll be familiar with five of Mirage’s six character classes:
- Taurant – Devastating melee class that punishes foes through his great strength
- Vigilist – Stalwart defender that supports her teammates with her control over the battlefield and knockaround capabilities
- Alchemancer – Deadly ranged striker able to quickly leave the combat area to survive and attack again
- Vypress – Elusive and agile character that uses her mobility and speed to cut foes dow
- Tinker – Defensive trap specialist that uses her cunning and wit to defeat larger opponents
The Beta will provide the first public, playable reveal of the Entropist outside of the private Alpha. The all-new Entropist in Beta features tweaks to abilities, full voice-over as well as new effects work.
- Disintegrate – A powerful beam attack
- Pronged Shot – Fires 3 projectiles designed to deal damage to a group of enemies
- Healing Grenade – A burst heal
- Healing Well – Slowly heals you and your allies over time
- Magic Carpet – The ultimate movement ability
- Projectile Teleport – Fire a projectile out and teleport to it when you choose to
- Obelisk – Spawns a bomb that can be used to create space and on aftertouch it charges up a big explosion
- Barrage – Select an area to rain down projectiles on
Complete re-do of front-end user interface
Main menu background footage will swap between character scenes such as the Taurant (above) and Tinker/Vypress (below).
The main menu now features a song! Listen to the main menu theme track, new in Beta:
- The Closed Beta Matchmaking is still undergoing extensive testing and may not always function perfectly.
- How to matchmake: Click Play then select a game mode
- Matchmaking service will find local players and gradually expand search if none found
- You’ll be paired with players of similar skill
- When rounds end, you’ll re-enter matchmaking to ensure that the next match can start with players from other MM servers who are searching
- Training also takes place on a server as well and may take a few seconds to start up
The tutorial features a brand new environment: the Jinn World
Learn the basics and then practice advanced skills like projectile drags, dodges, parry timing, feints and more against AI opponents
These changes are some of the more relevant to you as a player, it doesn’t represent the full changelist and you may notice other changes in-game.
- Tutorial – a short introduction to the basic mechanics of the game
- A new tutorial can be accessed from the main menu by hitting the Training button
- VO options now appear in the same order as Chivalry
- Added falling screams
- Spectators can now be votekicked
- Added idle kick
- Idle players will be kicked after 120s
- Added 5s cooldown to suicides
- Rebalanced all damage values
- Rebalanced all health values
- Reduced character collision radius from 50 to 45
- Reduced player essence’s health boost and cooldown reduction
- This is the little orb that drops when a player dies
- Rebalanced Stamina to put more emphasis on your own stamina management
- Reduced Stamina taken when blocking
- Increased stamina taken for mobility, missed swings, feints etc
- Adjusted all ability combo timings to flow better with melee
- Reduced all melee recovery times
- Reduced parry up time slightly
- Increased Interrupt & Blocked duration slightly
- Lowered Jump & Wall Jump mobility
- Jumps and/or mini jumps are no longer allowed during the activation of various abilities
- Updated 3rd person camera position for all classes
- 3rd person is now capped at 105 FOV
- Updated the camera with new collision functionality to get a better view of combat at all times
- Fixed some camera animations having too strong of an effect in third person
- Improved projectile interactions
- Projectiles like the Alchemancer’s phoenix and piercing shot will now deflect back the Taurant’s boulder instead of getting destroyed by it
- Many more interactions like this have been added or improved from before
- Improved Levitate/Carpet interactions
- You can now have full on melee exchanges in the air without dropping
- Shove & Explosive Punch
- Improved movement and targeting
- Increased speed
- Made the final knockback smoother and more reliable
- Fixed ward strikes floating movement and the lunge that happens on release
- Increased Grapplehook’s travel speed
- Increased Dervish Range
- Now adds an air dash to your next melee attack
- Reduced cooldown
- Reduced duration from 4 to 2.5s
- Reduced cooldown
- Completely new Main Menu
- New Keybindings menu
- Added many new options including gore settings
- Updated post-game flow and UI
- New votekick UI
- Added custom in-game cursor
- Double clicking a server in the server browser now joins it
- Server browser now keeps its settings between refreshes and sorts better
- Right clicking a keybinding entry now clears it
- Increased chat display time
- The main menu now features our main theme song
- Rebalanced audio levels and polished many ability sounds
- Fixed issue where certain in-game menus wouldn’t show a darkened background.
- Fixed in-combat music kicking in when hitting certain world actors.
- Fixed gamepads Y axis not getting inverted with the “Invert Y” option.
- Fixed issue where push to talk would activate without the users input.
- Cooldowns are now visible when the ability is silenced/unavailable (Stasis/Iron Dome).
- Fixed Taurants breathing sounds not stopping on death.
- Various client and server stability issues.
- Various performance improvements in gameplay and levels.
- Possible failed hits when on higher ping servers.
- Player weapons would sometimes disappear.
- Matchmaking problem where players would be stuck in “hosting session” and not successfully join a match.
- Abilities would sometimes not be available for use after being interrupted.
- Possible black screen instead of video playing in the background of the main menu.
- Alt-Tabbing can result in a crash or hang, particularly when in fullscreen or during a loading screen.
- Level specific loading screens will sometimes not appear.
- Battlecries and other voice commands will sometimes fade out before they finish playing.
- Blocking a beam attack may result in your next ability not properly animating.
- Sometimes players will stop playing movement animations.
- Resolution settings will sometimes not apply unless Window mode is also changed.
- Wall jumps and vaults may fail when playing on a higher ping server.
- Some sounds may play globally.
- Some Audio options will not properly apply volume changes.
- Impulse will sometimes stack resulting in ragdolls flying farther than expected.
- Some debug text may be present.
- Alchemancer block effect will display in different locations if stationary.
- Performance may drop if many players are progressing through the tutorial at once.
- Tutorial bots may become unresponsive in high ping situations.
- Tinker bubble will drop players before the effect wears off.
Discuss the Beta
Discuss this article: